Enduro-Var II is a reformulation of our original oil-modified, ambering, water-based topcoat. It replaces original Endurovar and is made with more than 70% RENEWABLE RESOURCES formulated from sustainable materials that decrease the carbon footprint and is compatible with ALL GF products. The new formula dries to a lighter amber than the previous formula, is highly water-resistant, and is both sprayable and brushable.
How to Apply General Finishes Enduro-Var Water Based Topcoat
CAUTION: Do not use over bright whites as the finish will yellow. Enduro-Var has a slight pink cast to the color in the can. This is normal. It will dry to a light amber color.
- Watch Enduro-Var II product overview video here and a comparison video of our topcoats here
- Work in a well-ventilated area.
- Stir topcoat thoroughly to reincorporate solids that have settled to the bottom of the can before and throughout the application process.
- Test for adhesion.
- Thin as desired with distilled water; start with 5%, adding up to 10% by volume.
- Increase open time, if needed, with 10-15% General Finishes Extender if allowed by local regulations. GF Extender will improve flow and leveling and increase open time, which is helpful in dry climates.
- Apply 3 coats. More coats will not improve durability.Finish sand between coats with a fine-grade (220-320) foam sanding pad to improve smoothness and adhesion.
- Hand application: Apply a liberal amount of product using a synthetic bristle brush, foam brush, pad applicator, or roller along the wood grain with smooth, even strokes & light lap lines. Avoid pressure and back brushing. Lap lines will tighten down as they dry.
- Spray application: Before spraying, strain topcoat through a fine-mesh filter. Spray wet films at 3-5-mil thickness. HVLP: 1.1mm-1.3mm spray tip, medium air cap. Verify tip sizes with your equipment supplier. See our general guide for spray tip sizes. Keep your gun at a 90° angle, 6-8" from the surface. On large, flat areas, use wet, even patterns 6-8" wide. For narrow surfaces, reduce the fan pattern to 2-3" wide to reduce overspray. Overlap each pass 25% to conceal lines. Wear a full filter respirator (NIOSH/MSHA-approved) and work in a ventilated space. Visit this FAQ for more information on spraying techniques.
- Remove dust with a vacuum, compressed air, an oil-free tack cloth or a water-dampened rag.
General Finishes Enduro-Var is water-based, but it imparts a warm amber tone and brings out grain definition as a traditional solvent urethane would on exotic woods such as Paduk, Cocobolo, and Bubinga.
Tinting & Toning Enduro-Var
Add up to 5% General Finishes Dye Stain or General Finishes Ready-to-Match Stain to enhance color tone. General Finishes Amber Dye Stain or General Finishes Vintage Cherry Dye Stain work well, or a 50:50 combination of both. Apply 2 coats of the tinted topcoat for a deeper, more vibrant color.
General Finishes High Performance Topcoat, General Finishes Enduro Clear Poly and General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Topcoat are recommended on high-use surfaces such as kitchen tabletops, kitchen cabinets or bath vanities instead of Enduro-Var because they have greater water and chemical resistance.
WARNING: Incompatible Products
- Linseed Oils
- Danish Oils